Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Not Hating the Treadmill

Treadmills.

Man, those things are boring. Standing in one place, going nowhere, staring at a wall instead of a trail or even at least a road, no change of scenery. It is so hard to stay motivated on a treadmill, so easy to just stop and sit on the couch.

It is so easy to hate the treadmill. So I started thinking differently.

The treadmill is a training tool. If there is any way to train your "stick-to-it-iveness" it is running on the treadmill. If you want to develop the willpower to keep pushing, try to keep pushing when the La-Z-Boy is within reach.

The treadmill is a choice. It might be more horrible to run in the freezing cold or sloppy weather, or it might be more horrible to run on the treadmill, but I am thankful to have the choice.

The treadmill is a blessing. Since I am male this one matters less to me than my wife. It is one thing for me to go out on a dark and isolated road at 5:00 am and run, it is another thing entirely for her to do the same. We just don't feel safe about that.

Hopefully my thinking here will help some of you feel better about the dreadmill.

How about you? What do you do to feel better about a treadmill workout?

No comments:

Post a Comment