Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Are You Asking The Wrong Question?

It is very easy when starting something new to begin by asking the wrong questions. I have been seeing this a lot online lately as people are admirably firing up their New Year's fitness resolutions. "Should I run with a weighted vest?" "Should I be doing hill sprints?" "What shoes should I buy?"

These questions are like a phone call I got once while working at a local tour cave. Some guy called and asked, "How do I get there?" I responded, "I'm not sure. Where are you starting from?"

The first two questions you need to know the answers to in travel are, "Where am I starting?" and "Where do I want to go?"

The same applies to your fitness goals.

Where are you starting? If you are on google plus asking people how to achieve a fitness goal, the first thing you need to tell them is where you are right now. Have you been fit and want to improve? Have you been sedentary? Do you have special orders from your doctor? Do you get out of breath walking across the room?

If you ask someone how you should get fit and they throw out a simple answer without knowing these questions, ask someone else.

The next thing you will need to know is what your goal is.

Do you want to get fit enough to get through your regular daily activities without aches and pains? Do you want to get a faster time in a 5K race? Do you want to do strength training and find out how much you can lift? Do you want to run your first marathon or your first triathlon?

Different goals produce different answers.

Know where you are, and where you want to go first, then plan your workouts.

One more thing. I just can't let this one go. Please don't go online and say, "I just started running, what shoes should I buy?" And please don't answer, "Anything by (insert your favorite brand)."

No comments:

Post a Comment