Thursday, September 6, 2012

Speedwork and Temper Tantrums

Speedwork almost never leaves me feeling beaten, but this was one of those days where it did. I was working on my goal of getting under a 20:00 5K. The workout that morning was mile repeats with half mile jogs between, and that morning it just wasn't in the cards.

My daughter almost never has a temper tantrum, but this was one of those days she did. She was two and had been invited to her first ever birthday party. We were at the store buying the birthday present, but that morning, it just wasn't in the cards.

My first of three fast miles went well, two seconds ahead of the prescribed pace, but my legs were already starting to feel heavy. Mile two was not so hot, a full ten seconds behind pace my legs were wooden and my lungs were begging me to stop. Mile three, or should I say mile 2.75 was it. My lungs were screaming, my legs were aching, my shoulders were slumping, then there were the sudden GI issues. There is a lot I will push through, but there are some things I am not interested in experiencing on a run. I stopped running and walked. One part of me was thinking, "I would have pushed through if it weren't for the tummy issues, the rest of me was thanking my gut for rebelling.

Shopping for the present started off well, we got a gift bag instead of wrapping paper because we were on a bit of a tight schedule then went off to select the present. When it came time to decide on the gift things were not so hot. There was a lot of indecision and refusing of suggestions from Mom and Dad. Once the gift was finally chosen the trip to the cash register was the beginning of the end. Standing in line, I was saying, "Settle down, or you will have a consequence, no more yelling, if you kick me again there will be NO BIRTHDAY PARTY FOR YOU!

Kick.

My daughter was screaming, my left leg was aching, my shoulders were bristling. "That's it, you will not go to the birthday party." One part of me was thinking, "I really wanted to take her to her first birthday party," the rest of me was thanking her for rebelling.

As I got in from my run and looked at my training schedule held to the door with a magnet I felt disappointed. Things did not turn out the way I wanted them to. I did not get what I wanted.

As we got home from the shopping trip and she looked at the birthday party invitation held to the door with a magnet she felt disappointed. Things did not turn out the way she wanted them to. She did not get what she wanted.

Looking back on both of these things now, I see the value of both. I went out there and ran my hardest and did the best I could. I didn't complete the workout, but the work I did was worth it. Not only to help me work towards that race pace I still haven't achieved, but also to improve my health, strength, and fitness. It also helped me learn where my limits are and helped me improve my mental toughness for races. Sometimes a "failed" workout is the best lesson of all. For my daughter, she missed out on her first birthday party she was invited to, but the lessons learned were worth it. She knows that her Dad is consistent and follows through with what he says. She knows that her actions have consequences, and she has a clear boundary of what the limits are. Sometimes a "failed" outing is the best lesson of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment